These trainings are designed to meet the ongoing mental health and substance use disorder needs for Hurricane Harvey survivors and their families.
Training opportunities in mental health and substance use disorders are available within Texas geographic areas catastrophically impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
These training opportunities are intended to increase the capability and capacity in these counties by providing qualified individuals who can support the post-disaster, ongoing and unmet mental health and substance use needs in disaster survivors. Coordination of these trainings is being conducted by the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) – Department of Psychiatry in association with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC).
Funding for this project is provided by The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Emergency Response Grant (SERG).
These trainings target behavioral health support services, stress management, and clinical assessment services.
These trainings are 100% federally funded and are available free of charge, including registration, curriculum materials, and continuing education when applicable.
Continuing education is available for each training. Please see course description for details. All trainings are completed in person.
Who is eligible for training?
* You must be a resident of the state of Texas to attend any of these trainings. Registration priority will be given to those providing services to those counties catastrophically impacted by Hurricane Harvey. Access list of impacted counties.
- Local mental health authority staff
- Substance use disorder staff
- Behavioral health care providers
- Emergency first responders
- Local emergency management officials
- School personnel
- Veterinary care providers
- Faith based providers
- Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
- Other community stakeholders who are members of the target population or any other entities approved by HHSC
NOTE: Please check individual course descriptions for information on pre-requisites or course requirements.
COVID-19 has impacted many areas of life as we know it, however, our commitment to your safety and providing quality evidenced based trainings has remained the same. In an effort to minimize risk to our learners and trainers, we have temporarily converted all of our in-person workshops to VIRUTAL trainings so learners can participate remotely. Thank you for your understanding.
For assistance, please contact:
Mon – Fri: 8am – 5PM CST
7703 Floyd Curl Drive Mail Code 7797
San Antonio, TX 78229
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Disaster Behavioral Health Services
6330 Hwy 290 East, Austin, TX 78723